Edwin S. Porter Theater
201 East Fairview Avenue
Connellsville, Pennsylvania 15425
Built in 1916
Once home of the Connellsville Cokers!
This spectacular building was erected in 1916 to be the new high school, replacing the Cameron High School which no longer stands. After the high school moved, it stood empty for a number of years becoming the Connellsville Community Center. The old High School housed an indoor pool and a 800 seat auditorium among other things. The theater was named in honor of Edwin S. Porter, from Connellsville, who directed the first major motion picture "The Great Train Robery".
Until 2007 the auditorium was used as a storage room. The ceilings were repaired from neglected leaks and the heating system was updated utilizing CDBG funding.
Deteriorated pillars were repaired to their original condition.
A fresh new paint scheme was applied along with new drapes, lighting and sound system. With the help from the Fayette County Cultural Trust and the Laurel Highlands Visitor's Bureau-Fayette County Hotel Grant Program, a new $20,000 stage curtain was added in November 2010.
The Edwin S. Porter Theater is a great asset to this community, and something
that Connellsville can be proud of!
--Metaphasia was put on by the Connellsville Area Catholic School in January 2008
--No Strings Attached was staged by the Connellsville Area Catholic School in 2009.
-- Wonderland was presented by the Connellsville Area Catholic School in early 2010.
--Late Night Catechism "Until Death Do Us Part" was played November 9, 2010
--The December 3, 4 & 5 performance of The Nutcracker by the Ballet Lafayette was a success with over 500 people in attendance!